Chemical Restraint: Practice Issues for Health and Social Care Staff
Date, Time & Location
Date to be confirmed
About the Event
Please register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
This half day online training course aims to familiarise non-clinical participants with medicines commonly used as chemical restraint and factors to consider when conducting DoLS assessments.
· To understand what chemical restraint is
· To be familiar with the names of medicines commonly used as chemical restraint
· Consider the impact of chemical restraint within an assessment for DoLS
The day will include the following key topics:
· A definition of chemical restraint and what it may look like in practice
· The prevalence of chemical restraint
· Medication commonly involved
· Covert medication
· What to look out for on prescription charts
· Initiatives to reduce inappropriate prescribing such as STOMP
· The monitoring of patients on medication used as restraint
· Chemical restraint within DoLS assessments
The course will be delivered by Petrina Douglas-Hall
Petrina is a mental health pharmacist and manages the National Centre for Psychiatric Medicines Information Service at the Maudsley Hospital in London. Her current clinical caseload involves work on a specialist care unit where older adults are treated who have severe challenging behaviours due to dementia or a mental illness plus working as an independent prescriber in a children’s ADHD clinic. Petrina has also worked as a pharmacist in the past for HM Prison Service. Petrina is a Mental Health Act Reviewer for the Care Quality Commission, a role she has had for the past 20 years including under the late Mental Health Act Commission. Petrina is a Honorary Clinical Lecturer at King’s College London. She has authored clinical papers in peer reviewed journals on subjects ranging from reasons for clozapine discontinuation to as required medication for severely mentally ill people. Petrina is a contributor to The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry.
Petrina is married with children and cares for a son with severe learning disability and autism.
Includes all course materials and a certificate. Course access details will be emailed direct to delegate(s) upon completion of your booking. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com or call 07341 277487.