Unconscious Bias (race, equality and discrimination in social and healthcare settings) 16 November 2021
Date, Time & Location
About the Event
16 November 10:00-13:00
This three hour webinar provides an opportunity to understand the concept of Unconscious Bias and its theoretical and research basis. Through ongoing research, it has become apparent that sometimes we make choices which subtly discriminate in favour of or against certain characteristics in a person or group. These choices are based at an unconscious level, known as Unconscious (Implicit) bias or hidden assumptions.
The session will explore the concept of unconscious bias at an individual and organisational level with a focus on health and social care practice. It also enables participants to identify positive examples in practice and measures to overcome unconscious bias. This course will be especially useful for social workers, BIAs, AMHPS, s12 doctors, GPs, nurses, care home managers, DoLS MH Assessors, doctors and other staff working in health and social care settings.
The session will include the following key topics:
- Introduction and aims for the day
- What is meant by unconscious biases and how it is manifested
- Impact of unconscious bias on the receiver
- Science, research and statistics
- How our mind focuses + case studies
- Types of biases
- Measure for overcoming bias
- Managing situations professionals encounter – examples
- Action plans
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Understand how individual and group bias impacts on behaviours, attitudes, relationships and decisions
- Understand the risks and implications of negative outcomes from unchecked unconscious bias
- Identify areas of personal bias and implications on decision making processes in the health and social care setting.
- Apply the concept of unconscious bias to health and social care practice and identify methods for managing unconscious bias
The course will be delivered by Sneha Kilhay
Sneha Khilay has an MSC in Human Resources and is an NLP practitioner and accredited executive coach. She has lectured at Hertfordshire University and Bournemouth University ASW/AMHP programme and is a regular contributor to the London School of Economics Diversity Section. She has published various articles and writes a monthly newsletter on equality. Sneha has advised the NHS and local authorities on equality and unconscious bias as well as the private and corporate sectors. Her projects include work with the United Nations and the Home Office. She has recently been interviewed on the BBC Inside Out programme on the impact of bias in recruitment processes.
Includes all course materials and a certificate. Course access details will be emailed direct to delegate(s) upon completion of your booking. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.
Are you a Local Authority, NHS Trust or CCG ?
If you are a Local Authority, NHS Trust or CCG and require an invoice please email email@example.com for a booking form
- Course Place£75+£15 VAT£75+£15 VAT0£0