Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act interaction 20 & 21 May 2021
Date, Time & Location
About the Event
PART 1: 20 May 2021 10:00 to 13.00
PART 2: 21 May 2021 10.00 to 13:00
This course aims to enable health and social care staff to consider the impact of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 on their work and its relationship to the use and application of the Mental Health Act 1983.
· Understand the key rules and procedures of the Mental Capacity Act and how this relates to its interaction with the Mental Health Act
· Explain how their working practices will be affected by using the Mental Capacity Act
· Illustrate the skills needed to assess which Act is applicable for particular situations
· Demonstrate practical application of the interaction between the two Acts
· Mental Capacity Act commentary – Court of Appeal, CQC, Ombudsman
· MCA and MHA 1983 comparison
· MCA and MHA statistics – detention and supervision in England
· Using the MCA in mental health services – community, admission, hospital and discharge
· Admission to hospital – ECHR case law and AM & SLaM case
· Assessment of capacity – first steps and overview
· Understand – what information for admission to hospital
· Use or weigh – significance in mental health and case law
· Best Interests – overview and the checklist
· Admission to mental health wards – which Act and why? Case law guidance
· Code of Practice guidance – objecting to treatment or admission (eligibility for DoLS)
· Conveyance - moving people?
· Deprivation of Liberty – European view onwards
· Why or when to use DoLS in mental health services – hospital and community
· Case law – CTO and Conditional Discharge and DoLS
· Case law summary sheet on MHA and MCA cases
The course will be delivered by Steven Richards
Steven is a Director of Edge Training and Consultancy and has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, both for the NHS and voluntary sector. He has been an in-patient advocate for Mind and as an advocate Steven represented directly before the Court of Protection. Steven was a Mental Health Act Reviewer with the Care Quality Commission for over 10 years and also worked with the CQC as a specialist advisor on the Mental Capacity Act and DoLS. He delivers training on the Mental Capacity Act and Mental Health Act across England and Wales to health and social care professionals. Steven has experience of training a wide variety of services including local authorities, CCGs, NHS Trusts, the police, hospices and prison health services. He has spoken at a series of Health Education England conferences on the MCA at the end of life and delivered training on the draft Liberty Protection Safeguards bill to members of the House of Lords. Steven is co-author of 3 books:
Includes all course materials and a certificate. Course access details will be emailed direct to delegate(s) upon completion of your booking. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.
Are you a Local Authority, NHS Trust or CCG ?
If you are a Local Authority, NHS Trust or CCG and require an invoice please email email@example.com for a booking form
- Course Place£150+£30 VAT£150+£30 VAT0£0