Date, Time & Location
Feb 07, 2024, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
About the Event
This one day training course aims to familiarise local authority and healthcare staff with the Coroner’s court process, with particular focus on report writing and giving evidence in the Coroner’s court.
- Be familiar with the process in Coroner’s Court
- Understand the role of the local authority and healthcare staff in the process
- Be more confident about giving evidence in the process
- Have a clearer understanding of how to write reports for Coroner’s Court and what is needed
The day will include the following key topics:
- Coroner’s Court- overview. Role of the Coroner, powers of the court.
- Types of cases dealt with by the court
- Schedule 5 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (Prevention of Future Deaths) PFD reports
- Preparation of a statement for court
- Relevant fact / irrelevant fact exercise
- How to give evidence effectively, hints and tips.
The course will be delivered by Chris Hopkins
Chris became a barrister following a period of service in HM armed forces. Starting in general crime, he has specialised in coronial law and inquests work since 2008 when he started a period of seven years working as in-house counsel. This included over four years in the market leading health and safety team at an international law firm where he represented some of the world’s largest construction and manufacturing companies.
Chris regularly represents families, employers and individuals who find themselves involved in inquest proceedings as witnesses or other interested persons. For nearly all it is their first experience of such proceedings and Chris is on hand to ably guide them through. Chris's corporate clients frequently come from the construction, manufacturing, care and education sectors. He has also represented local authorities and bereaved families.
Chris has a commercial focus within this sensitive area of work whilst also being good with clients helping them to understand the key issues. He is also a good team player working well with solicitors, expert witnesses and clients.
Chris is on the List of Specialist Regulatory Advocates in Health and Safety and Environmental Law and has represented both the HSE and CQC in recent years.
Includes all course materials and a certificate. Course access details will be emailed direct to delegate(s) upon completion of your booking. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.
- Ticket type
+£30.00 VATTax: +£30.00 VAT