BIA Legal Update 10 & 11 May 2021
Date, Time & Location
About the Event
PART 1: 10 May 2021 10:00 to 13.00
PART 2: 11 May 2021 10.00 to 13:00
This one day course (split over 2 webinar sessions) aims to provide an essential update on case law in relation to the role of the BIA.
- Consider the latest DoLS news, research and guidance
- Examine the latest case law relevant to DoLS and the BIA role
- Reflect on how the information covered affects BIA practice
Programme- the day will include the following key topics which may be subject to some minor amendments to reflect the latest case law and guidance at the time of delivery :
- Coronavirus Act 2020 – overview and impact MHA, MCA and DoLS
- Court of Protection – guidance
- Coronavirus and DoLS – the first case law
- Deprivation of Liberty – ECHR onwards
- Restating the fundamentals of deprivation of liberty – case law
- DoLS appeals – case law
- National DoLS statistics
- Ombudsman ruling and Social Work England ruling
- CQC inspections and DoLS
- Assessing mental capacity – recent case law on use or weigh
- Representatives: the role of the BIA – case law
- Community DoL applications – case law
- 16-17 year olds and deprivation of liberty – Supreme Court ruling
- Self-neglect and assessing mental capacity – case
- DoLS case law summary sheet
- Case studies
- Liberty Protection Safeguards – overview
- DoLS > LPS – what is changing
- DoLS > LPS – what stays the same(ish)
- AMCP replacing the role of the BIA
The course will be delivered by Steven Richards
Steven is a Director of Edge Training and Consultancy and has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, both for the NHS and voluntary sector. He has been an in-patient advocate for Mind and as an advocate Steven represented directly before the Court of Protection. Steven was a Mental Health Act Reviewer with the Care Quality Commission for over 10 years and also worked with the CQC as a specialist advisor on the Mental Capacity Act and DoLS. Steven delivers training on the Mental Capacity Act and Mental Health Act across England and Wales to health and social care professionals and he provided training on the proposed Liberty Protection Safeguards to members of the House of Lords.
Steven is co-author of three books: Working with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 – 3rd edition, Working with the Mental Health Act – 3rdedition and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Handbook – 1stedition. He also co-authors several wall charts on the Acts and an App on the Mental Capacity Act.
Includes all course materials and a certificate. Webinar access details will be emailed direct to delegate upon completion of your booking. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.
Are you a Local Authority, NHS Trust or CCG ?
If you are a Local Authority, NHS Trust or CCG and require an invoice please email email@example.com for a booking form
- Course Place£150+£30 VAT£150+£30 VAT0£0