AMHP Legal Update
Date, Time & Location
About the Event
The main aim is to give AMHPs the opportunity to update their legal knowledge and skills regarding their work under the Mental Health Act 1983. This update has a focus on practice dilemmas arising from the pandemic as well as case law developments.
At the end of the course AMHPs should have a better understanding of:
- the latest DHSC advice affecting AMHPs during the pandemic;
- interviewing in a “suitable manner”, “seeing” the patient and personal examinations by doctors;
- nearest relative issues;
- the status of the Code of Practice, especially given new DHSC guidance;
- the roles of approved clinicians and responsible clinicians;
- consent to treatment issues and mental capacity; and
- other key issues affecting AMHPs in practice.
- Impact of the coronavirus pandemic on AMHP practice.
- DHSC Guidance, May 2020
- Doctors’ duty to “personally examine” and AMHPs’ duty to “see” and “interview in a suitable manner” – further discussion.
- Status of the Code of Practice to the MHA
- Nearest relative
- The role of the Approved Clinician/Responsible Clinician
- Recent consent to treatment caselaw.
Participants need to have available at the start of each webinar:
- The slides for the session, to enable them to take notes. For this purpose it is easiest to print out the slides three per page as that leaves room for notes.
- Any quizzes planned for either session. There will be time to complete these during the related sessions.
- A copy of the Mental Health Act 1983 (e.g. as contained in Jones’ Manual or in Barber, Brown and Martin – discounted copy via flyer. The Act is also available on line at legislation.gov.uk by typing in “Mental Health Act” & “1983”).
The course will be delivered by Rob Brown
Rob Brown is an independent trainer and social worker. He provides consultation and supervision for AMHPs in Cornwall & Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, West Berkshire and Lambeth. He was a founding Director of Edge Training and Consultancy Ltd. Rob teaches AMHPs, s12 approved doctors and approved clinicians in England and Wales. He is Visiting Fellow at Bournemouth University. Rob has published a number of books in the fields of mental health and mental capacity law. His most recent publication is “The Approved Mental Health Professional’s Guide to Mental Health Law” (5th edition, Sage, 2019). From 1993-2010 he was a Mental Health Act Commissioner and was Director of ASW/AMHP courses in London and in South West England over the same period.
Includes all course materials and a certificate. Webinar access details will be emailed direct to delegate upon completion of your booking.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com or call 07341 277487.
- Webinar Training£150+£30 VAT£150+£30 VAT0£0