**NEW COURSE** Mental Capacity Act for Occupational Therapists – 18 & 20 January 2021 **VIA LIVE WEBINAR **
This full-day course is aimed at specifically at Occupational Therapists and OT assistants. It aims to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence of staff in applying the
Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) to everyday practice.
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
• Understand the key parts of the MCA
• Explain how their working practices will be affected by the legislation
• Demonstrate how the Act will affect their clients / service users
• Illustrate how they will use different parts of the Act in their job role
• Capacity & consent
• MCA overview
• The statutory principles and how they apply to practice
• What does the Act mean by lack of capacity?
• Assessing capacity – When to assess? > Who does the assessment? > First steps
• What is relevant information for OT decisions?
• Assessment of capacity in detail – law & practice points
• Refusing a capacity assessment
• Recording capacity assessments
• Best interests – excluded decisions > best interests checklist > using the checklist
• Best interests & “available options”
• Disputes & when to involve the Court of Protection
• Restraint & deprivation of liberty
• Recording best interests decisions
• LPAs & Deputies
• Advance Decisions to Refuse Treatment
The course will be delivered by Piers McNeil
Piers McNeil is an independent social worker with 17 years experience in a range of adult social care fields, including: learning disability, physical disability, and older persons mental health. Piers is also a qualified DoLS Best Interests Assessor & Court of Protection visitor and previously held several senior local authority positions specialising in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and adult safeguarding. Piers is passionate about demystifying the MCA and empowering others to use it effectively. He has led practice forums for Best Interests Assessors and has designed and delivered training to a range of audiences.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com or call 07341 277487.
Stay in touch for latest courses, conferences, publications & updates
Feedback and Evaluations
Throughout 30 years of police work, I cannot remember a day’s course that was so entertaining and informative.
Clear concise presentation delivered with passion!
Excellent presenter- Clear, concise and relevant