DoLS Authorised Signatory Legal Update Training Course 27th April 2018 (pm)
This half day course aims to update authorising signatories who have already undertaken the Edge full day signatory course. It provides information on the latest news, guidance and case law relating to DoLS and considers how this impacts upon the specific role of signatories. The course also aims to look at wider strategic issues for local authorities in relation to DoLS.
Note: people who are new to the role of authorising signatory and need to know to what to look for on the DoLS assessment forms in terms of authorising DoLS should undertake the full day DoLS signatory course from Edge.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate how recent case law and other guidance affects the role of the signatory and consider its application in practice
The day will include the following key topics:
- Consent > MCA > Restraint > DoLS
- London Safeguarding Boards review and Local Government Ombudsman report
- CQC report on DoLS
- Case law: European Court of Human Rights looks at DoLS
- Appeals – Section 21A applications – review and research
- Legal hierarchy
- Case law: Risk to others and the description of risk
- Tea break
- Supreme Court ruling and Guzzardi – application
- Case law: limiting DoLS – life-saving treatment
- Case law: covert medication and DoLS
- Case law: available options and Best Interests
- Assessment of capacity –review
- The future: Law Commission Review of DoLS latest
- Case law handout for DoLS
Steven is a Mental Health Act Reviewer with the Care Quality Commission and a specialist advisor in relation to the Mental Capacity Act. He is a Director of Edge training and consultancy and has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, both for the NHS and voluntary sector. He has been an in-patient advocate for Mind and as an advocate represented directly before the Court of Protection. Steven has trained health and social care professionals on the Mental Capacity Act since its inception and regularly delivers legal update training to DoLS assessors (BIAs and Mental Health Assessors) and authorising signatories.
Steven is co-author of three books, Working with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 – 2nd edition, Working with the Mental Health Act – 3rd edition and The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Handbook – 1st edition. He also co-authors a number of wallcharts on the Acts which are used nationally and a mobile App on the Mental Capacity Act.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com or call 07341 277487.
Stay in touch for latest courses, conferences, publications & updates
Feedback and Evaluations
Throughout 30 years of police work, I cannot remember a day’s course that was so entertaining and informative.
Clear concise presentation delivered with passion!
Excellent presenter- Clear, concise and relevant