DoLS: a new beginning? Understanding the Law Commissions replacement for DoLS 29th Jan 2018 (am)
This half day course aims to provide a detailed overview and analysis of the Law Commissions recent proposals and draft legislation to replace DoLS with the Liberty Protection Safeguards. It will consider the potential impact of the proposals on individuals, professionals and organisations.
- Consider the Law Commission report and draft legislation
- Examine the differences between current DoLS procedures and the proposed ones for the Liberty Protection Safeguards
- Discuss the potential impact on individuals, social care and health professionals and local authorities and NHS bodies
Three hours – 10:00 till 13:00
- The Law Commission proposals to replace DoLS
- Key changes and their impact – individual, professional and strategic
- Widening the scope of DoLS? – age, location, mental disorder
- Things that remain the same or similar
- Rights and protection – advocacy, appeals, reviews
- New responsibilities and duties – CCGs and NHS Trusts
- Community deprivation of liberty – changes
- The role of the independent reviewer
- The new assessments required and the procedures
- Best Interests Assessors – new name and limitations on role
- Numbers of people affected – now and in the future?
- Funding – issues to consider for local authorities and NHS bodies
Steven is a Mental Health Act Reviewer with the Care Quality Commission and a specialist advisor in relation to the Mental Capacity Act. He is a Director of Edge training and consultancy and has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, both for the NHS and voluntary sector. He has been an in-patient advocate for Mind and as an advocate represented directly before the Court of Protection. Steven has trained health and social care professionals on the Mental Capacity Act since its inception and regularly delivers legal update training to DoLS assessors (BIAs and Mental Health Assessors) and authorising signatories.
Steven is co-author of three books, Working with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 – 2nd edition, Working with the Mental Health Act – 3rd edition and The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Handbook – 1st edition. He also co-authors a number of wallcharts on the Acts which are used nationally and a mobile App on the Mental Capacity Act.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.
You may also like…
Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Authorised Signatories Training Course 26th Feb 201826th February 2018 10:00 to 16:30SOLD OUTCentral London EC4Y - closest underground station is Temple£140.00 exc. VAT
Edge’s Annual DoLS Conference 2018 – a one day conference in central London – 16th March 201816th March 2018 09:45 to 16:15SOLD OUTThe Honourable Society of the Inner Temple, London (closest underground station Temple)£145.00 exc. VAT