This course aims to provide an essential update on case law in relation to the role of the BIA.
- Consider the latest DoLS news, research and guidance
- Examine the latest case law relevant to DoLS and the BIA role
- Reflect on how the information covered affects BIA practice
Programme- the day will include the following key topics which may be subject to some minor amendments to reflect the latest case law and guidance at the time of delivery :
- Consent > MCA > Restraint > DoLS
- London Safeguarding Boards and Local Government Ombudsman report
- CQC annual DoLS report
- Case law: European Court of Human Rights and DoLS
- Case studies – DoLS in practice
- Deprivation of Liberty – ECHR onwards
- Cheshire West, Supreme Court ruling – revisited
- Case law: life-saving treatment and DoLS
- DoLS appeals – Section 21A applications – overview and research findings
- Case law: covert medication to manage behaviour and DoLS
- National DoLS stats and trends
- Case law: Available options and the best interests assessment
- Assessment of risk – necessary and proportionate
- Case law: latest DoLS case law and summary
- Case law: domestic DoL or Community deprivation of liberty
- Case law: Community Treatment Orders (CTO) and DoLS
- The future: a new DoLS
The course will be delivered by Steven Richards
Steven Richards is a Director of Edge training and consultancy and has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, both for the NHS and voluntary sector. He has been an in-patient advocate for Mind and as an advocate Steven represented directly before the Court of Protection. He is a Mental Health Act Reviewer with the Care Quality Commission and has also been used by the CQC as a specialist advisor on the Mental Capacity Act and DoLS during inspections.Steven delivers training on the Mental Capacity Act and Mental Health Act across England and Wales to health and social care professionals and he provided training on the proposed Liberty Protection Safeguards to members of the House of Lords.Steven is co-author of three books: Working with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 – 3rd edition, Working with the Mental Health Act – 3rd edition and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Handbook – 1st edition. He also co-authors several wall charts on the Acts and an App on the Mental Capacity Act.
Includes all course materials, certificate and refreshments. Places are limited so early booking is recommended.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.