This course aims to provide an essential update on case law in relation to the role of the BIA.
- Consider the latest DoLS news, research and guidance
- Examine the latest case law relevant to DoLS and the BIA role
- Reflect on how the information covered affects BIA practice
Programme- the day will include the following key topics which may be subject to some minor amendments to reflect the latest case law and guidance at the time of delivery :
- Consent > MCA > Restraint > DoLS
- London Safeguarding Boards and Local Government Ombudsman report
- CQC annual DoLS report
- Case law: European Court of Human Rights and DoLS
- Case studies – DoLS in practice
- Deprivation of Liberty – ECHR onwards
- Cheshire West, Supreme Court ruling – revisited
- Case law: life-saving treatment and DoLS
- DoLS appeals – Section 21A applications – overview and research findings
- Case law: covert medication to manage behaviour and DoLS
- National DoLS stats and trends
- Case law: Available options and the best interests assessment
- Assessment of risk – necessary and proportionate
- Case law: latest DoLS case law and summary
- Case law: domestic DoL or Community deprivation of liberty
- Case law: Community Treatment Orders (CTO) and DoLS
- The future: a new DoLS
The course will be delivered by Steven Richards
Steven is a Mental Health Act Reviewer with the Care Quality Commission and a specialist advisor in relation to the Mental Capacity Act. He is a Director of Edge training and consultancy and has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, both for the NHS and voluntary sector. He has been an in-patient advocate for Mind and as an advocate represented directly before the Court of Protection. Steven has trained health and social care professionals on the Mental Capacity Act since its inception and regularly delivers legal update training to DoLS assessors (BIAs and Mental Health Assessors) and authorising signatories.
Steven is co-author of three books, Working with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 – 2nd edition, Working with the Mental Health Act – 3rd edition and The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Handbook – 1st edition. He also co-authors a number of wallcharts on the Acts which are used nationally and a mobile App on the Mental Capacity Act.
Includes all course materials, certificate and refreshments. Places are limited so early booking is recommended.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07341 277487.